Monday, August 5, 2013

Blueberry Lime Galette

Hi!  I'm Annie and I'm a liar!  I'm lying to your face.  This galette is a sham!  Ok remember when I made an Apple Galette and then also when I made that Cranberry Cocoa Galette?  Annndddd how I sorta cheated and used a pre-made store bought pie crust?  Well, I did it again.     
It's just SUCH a perfect quick treat.  You can literally have this in the oven in 10 mins with only a single bowl used.  You can't beat that!  And it's a great way to use up leftover fruit if you're like me and buy 4 pints of blueberries just for kicks.  Throw 'em in a pie shell and you got yourself dessert.  
I'd like to think of myself as a bit of a Galette Whisperer.  I just get them on a deeper level.  They're under-utilized and under-appreciated and I won't stand for it dag-nabbit!  
And besides, if you tell someone you made a galette they're all like "Oooo, how fancy!" and you can casually say "Oh it's just a french pastry.  No big deal."  It's our secret, y'all.  Just you, me and the internet.  

Here's the recipe!  

Blueberry Lime Galette

Ingredients
9-inch store-bought (or homemade) pie round, room temperature
2 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons sugar plus 2 teaspoons
1 teaspoon cornstarch
juice of half a lime
zest of half a lime
1 egg

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a large baking sheet with silicon mat or parchment and place the 9-inch pie crust in the center of the baking sheet.  Set aside.    
2.  In a medium bowl, combine the blueberries, 2 tablespoons of sugar, cornstarch, lime juice and lime zest.  Gently toss together to combine.  Pour the mixture into the center of the pie round, leaving about a 2 inch border of crust.  Begin folding the dough over the blueberries, overlapping as you go until you've formed a tightly sealed package.  
3.  In a small bowl, add the egg and a splash of water.  Whisk with a fork to combine.  Brush the egg wash over the crust of the galette so it's thoroughly coated.  Sprinkle crust with remaining teaspoons of sugar.  
4.  Bake for about 45 minutes until crust is golden brown and center is bubbly.  Allow to cool on a baking sheet on a wire rack until room temperature.  Slice and serve! 

Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod

No comments:

Post a Comment