Monday, January 7, 2013

Almond Orange Biscotti

I'm gonna be real with you.  I'm not fully invested in this post because The Bachelor is on in 19 minutes  as I type this.  I know, right?  You can understand why my concentration is elsewhere.  Apparently there's some sort of football game on too.  Whatever.
But I just need to be clear that I don't watch The Bachelor because I'm touched watching two people find true love.  Heck no.  I watch it for the meltdowns and cocktail dresses and endless love analogies like "Rock climbing with Sean really helped me face my fears and now I'm not afraid to fall... in love."  << million dollars says someone will literally say that on the show.  I can't think of a better way to spend 2 hours on a Monday night.

Alright perhaps there are better things I can do with my time.  Such as, nearly anything else.  No regrets!

Speaking of regrets, I don't regret making this biscotti.  No sirree.  Not one bit.  Biscotti dipped in coffee is one of my all-time favorite treats.  They're MEANT for dipping guys.  They're designed for it. Quite frankly, if you don't intend to dip biscotti, just don't eat it at all because you're doing it wrong.  I'm sorry, that was harsh.  But really, don't.


And let me say, if you're at all intimidated by biscotti, don't be silly girl.  It's just cookie dough baked twice.  And this recipe doesn't even require a mixer.  Just some bowls, a spoon and some gumption! 

"This biscotti has shown me that true love is possible."<< million bucks says they say that too.  

Here's the recipe!  

Ingredients:
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 cup sliced almonds

1 large egg white


Instructions:

1.  Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. 

2.  Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl.  In a large bowl, mix sugar, melted butter, 3 eggs, vanilla extract, and orange zest. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir with wooden spoon until well blended. Gently mix in almonds.

3.  Divide dough in half. Using floured hands, shape each dough half into 13 1/2-inch-long, about 2 1/2-inch-wide log.  Exactness isn't essential but you want both logs to be the same size so they cook evenly.  Transfer both logs to prepared baking sheet. Whisk egg white in small bowl until foamy; brush over top and sides of each dough log.

4.  Bake logs until golden brown (logs will spread a little), about 30 minutes, rotating pans half way thru baking.  Cool logs completely on the sheet on a rack, about 25 minutes but maintain oven temperature.

5.  Transfer logs to work surface and using serrated knife, cut logs on diagonal into 1-inch-wide slices. Arrange slices, cut side down, on same baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes. Turn biscotti over; bake until just beginning to color, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool.

Enjoy!

Recipe barely adapted from Smitten Kitchen.

16 comments:

  1. Looks Great! I love Smitten Kitchen, Deb is such a creative chef! Have you seen her new cookbook? It's AMAZING!

    Just stumbled upon your blog and I think it is wonderful! So, I have a little something special for you on my blog! It was passed on to me by another blogger and I want to pass it on to you! Come check it out!

    http://mollycakesbakes.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to get her book! LOVE her site and this recipe was a bbrreezzeee.

    Thank you SO MUCH for the nomination! Finding a blog with less than 200 followers will be the hardest part! I'm better get to researching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have missed the cranberry in the recipe. Did you use dried or fresh and quantity pls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic! Great recipe! And so easy to work with. I decreased the vanilla to 2 tsp and added a tsp of orange flavoring, as well as keeping the zest (just because I like a stronger flavor). Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious. Ate the whole last batch I made and making more tomorrow. I substituted lemon for the orange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luv it for the commentary! But will definitely be making these and dipping them in my coffee as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stumbled across this recipe this morning. I LOVE coffee, dipping, zest & everything in btwn. Looking forward to making these biscotti! Thank you for the recipe & your comments about The Bachelor. I know exactly what you mean. Hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your personality. You’re so real snd funny. My kind of girl. I’m going to follow you now and I’m making this biscotti!!! Thanks for making my day. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dominica
    I made these, and they are amazing! Thank you for sharing. Its definately a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these and they taste amazing,this is my forth time making them thank you for the recipe…

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for being so nice sharing your great recipe orange/almond biscotti Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  12. These were so good. Made them for a church gathering and everyone loved them.Thank you for sharing the recipe...Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made these, delicious. I separated the dough and added pistachio and dried cherries to the other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’ve been trying different biscotti recipes this past month. Hands down I prefer these almond orange biscotti! The dough is the best. The recipe is written the best. The flavor is fabulous. This will be my base recipe going forward. Thanks!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cookies were easy to make and delicious! I’ll be making them again for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My biscottis started crumbling even though i had cooled the logs for 25 mins. I have made other biscotti recipes and they never crumbled. I was so disappointed

    ReplyDelete