Thursday, December 6, 2012

Cranberry Cocoa Galette

More galettes!  Full disclosure, I make galettes because I'm too lazy to make pie.  And that's the truth.  I just have more confidence with galettes.  You sorta can't mess them up.  Except you probably could a little, I'm sure.  If it's possible, I'll find a way.


So does it go without saying that I totally cheated on this one and used store-bought crust again?  I think you can just assume that's what I'm always doing at this point.  It's not that I don't enjoy time spent in the kitchen (I'd be way off course with a baking blog if I didn't enjoy it), but some nights I can't commit to the the kind of time needed for a homemade crust.  I mean, who will watch all the TV?!  Think of the TV!    



And what's even lazier about this galette is that cranberries don't need any peeling, coring or chopping. I think I had this baby in the oven within 5 minutes.  I think I'll start only using fruits that require no preparation now.  So that leaves me with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and..... peas?  Maybe not my best idea.  


However, being that most of my experience with cranberries growing up was canned and cylindrically shaped, I still like to think this is quite a sophisticated dessert.  It's just subtly sweet with a bite from the cranberries and cocoa.  Sprinkled with a little powdered sugar, it practically screams Christmas.  Or, "cheater!" with the pie crust and all.  

Here's the recipe!  

Ingredients: 
1 round of store-bought pie crust (or use your favorite recipe!) 
2 cups fresh cranberries
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cold salted butter, cut into small pieces

powdered sugar, for dusting

Instructions:  
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon baking sheet and set aside.
2.  In a medium bowl, combine the cranberries, cocoa, and sugar.  Stir to coat berries.  
3.  Unroll your dough onto the baking sheet and pile the mixture into the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches around the perimeter.  You may have just a bit of the mixture leftover (I did).  Working your way around the dough, overlap the dough and pinch together until you've formed a tight parcel for the berries (see pictures above).  
4.  Dot cubes of butter over the top of the cranberries.  Bake for 40 minutes, turning the pan once or twice while baking.  Crust should be golden brown and filling will be bubble out.  Allow to cool completely.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.  

Enjoy!  

Recipe barely adapted from A Thought For Food    

No comments:

Post a Comment