Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Blueberry Chocolate Chunk Scones

Oh yeah baby.  These are the real deal.  And SO easy.  Whenever a recipe requires cutting butter into flour I'm like "Nah, not today, recipe.  Not today."  And then my husband is like "Who are you talking to?" and I'm like "Don't worry about it babe."  

Anywayz, the mood struck me one day.  I wanted to really do something in the kitchen.  You know the mood I mean.    

I unto thee I present these scones.  Or something.  


Dough beauty shot
Here's the secret- you need a giant bowl.  The biggest you've got.  Ok, I didn't say it was a revolutionary secret but with a giant bowl you can just get right in there.  Use some elbow grease.  And then starting cutting that butter into that flour like your life depended on it.  You won't make a mess.  Because of the bowl.  Because it's so big.  You get it.    

I know, you're thinking, "Annie, how in heaven's name do you come up with such culinary genius?  A giant bowl?  You've got gumption."

Well thank you.  I do have gumption.  Just blessed I guess.  Or genetics.     
Oops, I accidentally spilled my teacup of blueberries
And 20 minutes later you will have misshapen scones.  Or least I'll have misshapen scones.  Baby steps guys.  I mean you saw what I did with that giant bowl trick.  I can't be perfect all the time.  

Ok and trust me on the combination here.  Blueberries and dark chocolate?  YES.  I used 70% dark chocolate, but of course you could dial it up or down depending on your preference.  These scones are great because they're not incredibly sweet.  In fact, it's just 2 tablespoons of sugar in the recipe.  But the bursts of blueberries and that crackly sugar crust on top?  Yeah.  That's where the money is at.

These scones are what Saturday mornings with strong coffee and pajamas and no makeup and Food Network marathons are made of.  

Here's the recipe!  

Blueberry Chocolate Chuck Scones
makes approximately 8 scones

Ingredients

  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar, more for sprinkling
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold butter, cut into small chunks
  • 1 egg, separated
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (I used 70% cocoa) 
  • 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with silicon mat or parchment paper and set aside. 
2.  Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.  Add the chucks of butter and, using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the flour until well incorporated and butter is the size of small peas.  
3.  Whisk together the buttermilk and egg yolk and add to the butter/flour mixture.  Mix until well incorporated and dough is shaggy.  Add the dark chocolate and blueberries and gently fold into the dough, evenly incorporating.  
4.  Transfer dough onto a very well floured surface and knead a few times to bring the dough together.  Pat into a 7 inch disk and slice into wedges (I made 8 but you could make 4 large wedges).  Brush the tops of the wedges with the egg whites and sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar on each wedge.  No need to be precise here.  You're just looking to make an even coating to make a crackly crust. 
5.  Place onto baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly golden.  Allow to cool on a wire rack or eat warm!  

Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from The Baker Chick


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment