Yes sir. I made these. And ate sooooooooooooo many. Too many, you might say. Well you're not the judge of me. Who are you to say I ate too many? Rude.
You're right though. Because really, no one needs access to warm and spicy homemade corn chips at any time because only bad (good) things will happen.
We should all just take a minute to thank God that I don't have a recipe for homemade Nacho or Cool Ranch Doritos. Especially Cool Ranch Doritos. Because then that would really be trouble. You'd have to just roll me down the street afterwards.
But back to the recipe at hand. You've got a combo of delightful chili spices mixed up with thin strips of corn tortillas that have been baked till crispy. Baked! So it's health food. I think you should pile these high in a bowl, serve slightly warm, and feast. Rolling down the street afterwards is optional.
Baked Chili Fritos
6 corn tortillas
2-3 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine salt and all spices and whisk to combine. Set aside.
3. Stack the tortilla strips and slice them into equal bite-sized strips (see picture). Transfer onto baking sheet and toss lightly with the olive oil.
4. Bake 12-14 minutes, tossing half way thru, until tortillas are golden brown and crispy. Keep your eye on it towards the end, they'll burn quick.
5. Immediately from the oven, add the strips to the spices and toss lightly to coat. If spices don't stick easily, you can lightly spray with cooking spray and toss more. Transfer to a serving bowl, straining off any excess spices. Serve immediately.
Recipe from The Minimalist Baker