Thursday, August 15, 2013

Peanut Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

Ugh, guys, remember when I entered this recipe contest? Well forget about it because I lost and we must never speak of this again.  True to my word, I will now retire from blogging.  Right after this recipe.  
It's not even that I'm particularly competitive.  I'm just a really terrible loser.  A terrible sore loser.  It's partly why I never played sports growing up.  The thought of losing was terrifying.  Winning didn't even cross my mind.  Just paralyzing fear of losing.  Also, I had zero aptitude for athletics.  Minor factor.    
My dear ol' dad was sure that at least ONE of this three daughters would excel in sports.  Just one of us.  But we did not.  My older sis briefly tried golf in high school (not really sure what that was about) but it ended pretty quickly.  May have been shortly after she broke my dad's hand with a golf swing.   I would occasionally toss a ball around with him when I was younger (I think he tried grooming me young) but then I jammed my pinky finger once and that was the end of that nonsense.  Then I pretty much stuck to dance and drama club from there on out.  Though I can say my dad enjoyed many a nap from the audience of my shows.     
And my little sis didn't even pretend to try sports.  I appreciate her honesty.  Point is, I don't like losing and I lost so I will now sulk for as long as I feel necessary.  So, if it pleases you, give these mildly sweet Peanut Oatmeal Breakfast Bars a try.  Or don't.  Or do.  Whatever guys.  I need to go dance my feelings out.  

Here's the recipe!

Peanut Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

Ingredients
2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/4 cup soy milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup peanuts, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 375 and slightly spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  Set aside.  
2.  Combine oats, flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.  In another medium bowl, stir together peanut butter, oil, egg, and vanilla extract.  Slowly add milk while gently whisking being careful to avoid splashing.  
3.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula to combine until there are no dry spots left.  Fold in peanuts and chocolate chips.  Pour batter into pan and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the top with sliced almonds and flaxseed.  Press gently into batter to help adhere.  
4.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only a few crumbs.  Allow to cool completely before slicing. 

**Note: These bars are very mildly sweet.  The sugar is almost undetectable and I'd classify them as "hearty."  If you craze more sweetness, adjust the sugar to your preferences.   

Enjoy!  

Recipe adapted from Big Girl Small Kitchen


1 comment: