Monday, September 9, 2013

Cocoa Pebbles Peanut Butter Kix Krispies

So I'm ready to get down with some apple and pumpkin treats, like, yesterday but this weather in Chicago ain't having it.  It's supposed to be 97 degrees tomorrow.  Ninety- Seven Degrees guys.  What the what.  So I just haven't quite gotten into a fall mindset yet.  
And scorching heat is really what drove me to make these lil' beauties too.  I had a rooftop BBQ to attend and my original intention was to make some delectable cookies.  Of course, when the BBQ rolled around, it was a cloudless 95 degree day and I worried that me and the cookies would just wilt under the sun.  


So in a pinch, I stopped at the store, grabbed some cereal and marshmallows and got down to biz-naz.  Layering Rice Krispies is sorta my jam.  I just can't turn back now.    
Ya got some chocolately goodness on the bottom.  Let's call it a crust.  And then some splendidly crunchy peanut-butter infused Kix cereal.  All smooshed and glued together with butter and mallows.  Approved for 97 degree days.  

Here's the recipe! 

Cocoa Pebbles Peanut Butter Kix Krispies

Ingredients

Bottom Layer:
3 tablespoons butter
10 oz bag mini marshmallows
5 cups Cocoa Krispies 

Top Layer:
4 tablespoons butter
10oz bag mini marshmallows
1/2 cup peanut butter
6 cups Kix 

Directions:

1.  Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.  Melt 3 tablespoons of butter for bottom layer in a large saucepan over low heat until mostly melted.  Add 10 oz of marshmallows and continue to stir, melting the marshmallows slightly.
2.  When the marshmallows have melted slightly but still have some shape and remain somewhat puffy, add Cocoa Pebbles and stir to incorporate.  Pour mixture into pan and press into an even layer.  (I sprayed my hands with cooking spray and worked quickly using my bare hands)  
3.  Using the same saucepan, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter until mostly melted.  Add 10 oz of marshmallows and allow to melt until soft, puffy, and still retaining some shape.  Add peanut butter and stir to melt.  Mix in Kix and stir to incorporate.  Pour on top of Cocoa Pebble layer and press into an even layer.   
4.  Allow to set for at least 30 minutes.  Cut into desired pieces and serve.  If necessary, they can be stored in an air-tight container overnight.  

Enjoy!

Recipe an Annie's City Kitchen original



No comments:

Post a Comment