Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Itty Bitty (Easy) Maple Pumpkin Hand Pies

Let's just make it public knowledge that when I include the word "easy" in a recipe, it really just means "made with store bought pie dough."  You don't even need Google Translate for that secret code.  

Part of me feels like I should be apologizing for liberally using store-bought dough but...... I'm not sorry?  I'm just not people.  I mean, it's not to say that I don't want to master homemade dough.  I do, I really do.  But in the meantime I'll happily continue on my way with the store bought kind.  


Maybe it'll be a New Year's resolution.  Maybe.
Ok so these little guys.  Maple and Pumpkin.  Hello Fall.  Hello Thanksgiving.  Hello mouth.  

I know a full pie is traditional for a Thanksgiving dinner but I quite like the idea of these hand pies instead.  My family usually has a generous sampling of desserts and a full slice of pie can just be too much (even for me).  I want a little of this and a little of that. And a little more of this and a lot more of that and too much of this and not enough of that. 

Hand pies to the rescue! 
I particularly like the mild sweetness of this pumpkin filling.  It isn't cloyingly sweet or custardy.  It allows the pumpkin to taste like pumpkin.  Instead of just sugar and pumpkin.  And a light sprinkling of sugar on the pie crust before hitting the oven creates a sweet crust to encase the smooth pumpkin creaminess inside.  

Who needs a full pie?!  
Here's the recipe!  

Itty Bitty (Easy) Maple Pumpkin Hand Pies
makes approx. 14 pies

Ingredients

  • 2 9" inch pie rounds
  • 1 cup pumpkin canned puree
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash 
Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with silicon mat or parchment paper and set aside.  
2.  In a small bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugars, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.  Set aside.  
3.  On a well floured surface, roll out one 9# pie round.  Using a circular cookie or biscuit cutter about 4-5" in diameter begin cutting rounds.  Combine leftover scraps, re-roll, and cut more rounds.  Repeat with second 9" pie round.  
4.  Begin scooping the pumpkin mixture onto the pie rounds.  Use about a teaspoon of filling and place onto half of the round, leaving a border of dough available to seal the hand pie.  Fold the other half of dough over the filling and use a fork to seal the ends together.  Repeat with all rounds.  Once complete, brush all rounds with beaten egg and sprinkle liberally with sugar.  
5.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden brown.  Allow to cool slightly before eating.  

Enjoy!  

Recipe adapted from Chew Out Loud.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment