Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Apple Pie Calzone with Salty Honey Caramel Sauce

apple pie calzone and salty honey caramel sauce
You've never seen the word Calzone used so liberally until now.  What some may call a "giant hand pie," I call a Calzone.  Cuz why the hell not?  It's my kitchen after all.  And it certainly looks like a Calzone.  

I've moved on from galettes.  And by that I mean, I've started folding dough in a different way.  Because really, this is just a cousin to the galette.  It's pie dough, fruit, little sugar.  Like the lazy man's pie.  Or should I say the lazy Ann's pie?  (I shouldn't).

apple pie calzone
And of course, I used store bought pie dough.  Ugh, I know, I'm insufferable.  But guys, real pie dough?  I just can't.  God, have I tried and tried to make good dough.  I've made every version of "easiest pie dough ever!" under the sun and I'm still capable of messing it up.  

Wanna know where it all goes wrong?  ROLLING OUT THE DOUGH.  

I can't get that dough to roll without crumbling if my life depended on it.  So guess what?  I admit that pie dough is my white whale and I may never conquer it and that's ok.  At least that what I tell myself to sleep at night.  
apple pie calzone and salty honey caramel sauce
So if you wanna make dough from scratch, knock yourself out!  Just quit braggin' about it.  Jeez.  

Though to be honest, it's really the syrupy sweet baked apples and the Salty Honey Caramel Sauce that are the shining stars here.  The dough is just a way to get the goodness to my mouth.  Outta the way dough, I've got some baked apples to snarf on.  


apple pie calzone and salty honey caramel sauce
Here's the recipe! 

Apple Pie Calzone with Salty Honey Caramel Sauce
serves apprx. 4-6

Ingredients

  • (1) 9" pie-round (store bought or homemade) 
  • 2 large apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
  • juice of half a lemon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp cornstarch 
  • 1/4 cup sugar and more for sprinkling
  • 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
  • Salty Honey Caramel Sauce, for drizzling

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon mat.  Set aside.  
2.  In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples and lemon juice, stirring to coat the apples.  Add the salt, cinnamon, cornstarch and sugar and stir to combine and fully coat the apples.  
3.  On the baking sheet, arrange the pie round so that half the round is in the center of the pan and the other half drapes over the lip of the pan.  Scoop the apple mixture onto the half of the dough on the pan, leaving about a 1 inch perimeter at the edges.  Then, lift the other half of the dough over the apples and meet the two seams to create a half moon shape.  Using a fork, gently but firmly pinch the perimeter of the calzone closed.  Using a paring knife, slice 3 small slits in the top of the calzone to allow steam to escape.  Brush the whole calzone with the beaten egg and lightly (or liberally if desired), cover the surface of the calzone with some sugar.  
4.  Bake for about 30 minutes until the calzone is golden brown and (maybe) oozing juices.  Allow to cool before slicing.  Drizzle with Salty Honey Caramel Sauce and serve!  

Enjoy!  

Recipe an Annie's City Kitchen Original


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment