I've been meaning to write this post for months! And it was supposed to have been called "My Boyfriend's Beans" because if alliteration is an option, you choose it. Or maybe it chooses you. Food for thought.
Anyway, I never got around to it because #storyofmylife but I finally remembered to whip out my camera to capture the process, which happens about once a week in our house.
And here's the thing, this recipe has nothing to it. It's hardly a recipe at all. But I LOVE these beans and I love that Eric makes them every time we eat them. I don't even trust myself to make them. So if you're curious, here's how we eat beans in my house.
We use only La Preferida beans. Eric almost downright refuses to buy any other brands. Well not almost, he does downright refuse. If you don't have La Preferdia in your grocery store, it sounds like you aren't gonna eat beans anytime soon.
1. Put the pan on medium-high heat and drizzle a little oil or use a little cooking spray to coat the pan. Then salt the pan. Yeah, that's right. Salt the pan. This makes approximately zero sense. But just do it. Eric does.
2. Drain the bean juice (sauce?) into a large cup (or a comically large Miller Light Beer stein) and set aside.
3. Pour your beans into the hot pan. They should sizzle a bit.
4. Allow them to heat through, about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Then return the juice to it's rightful place in the pan. As I said, none of this makes actual culinary sense.
6. With a potato masher (or a flat bottom-ed cup), start smashing the beans. They should break up easily. We like to leave some full beans in the mix for texture but make them to your liking.
7. Add in about 2 handfuls (I'd estimate a little shy of 1/2 cup) of shredded Chihuahua cheese. Stir to combine so it's melty.
8. Once combined, add one more handful of cheese to the top but don't mix it in and allow to sit on low heat about 2 more minutes. If needed, salt more to taste.
And then eat IT ALL.
Like I said, ain't nuthin' fancy but we eat these beans weekly in my house. Eric even eats them with spaghetti. Welcome to my world.