Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mocha Toffee Meringue Bark

It happens pretty frequently that I get a burst of creative inspiration around 10am and I have SO MANY IDEAS and I want to CREATE and the world is full of OPPORTUNITIES and rainbows and sparkels!! (This is usually directly following a particularly strong iced coffee.)  

But I have this little thing called a job.  Annddd it makes mid-day blogging and baking damn near impossible.  I mean, technically speaking, I can fit a KitchenAid mixer at my desk but I get the feeling it wouldn't go over well with management.  

So I try to take notes on ideas I have so I can revisit them at 8pm when I have time to blog.  But sometimes the zest is gone.  The zip.  The zazz.  The zazzoo.  And instead I find myself trying to think of things to chat about that sound more like comedy routines.  

"So what's the deal with stepping in a puddle with your socks on?  It's the worst.  You've gotta get a whole new pair, amiright?"  

You don't wanna read that and I don't want to write it.  
So that where does that leave me?  I suppose I could chat about the, ya know, food?  Like, the thing that brings you to this blog in the first place?  Ok fine, yeah, that makes sense.  

So this "meringue bark."  It's meringue because it's made with egg whites and sugar but it's bark because it's spread in a thin layer and broken into chunks and shards for quick hand to mouth access.  

It's got a melt-in-your-mouth type of feel but toffee bits and peanuts amp up the texture for a salty and sweet crunch.  It's one of those desserts that you can polish off the whole batch on your own.  Without blinking.  Literally.  Or so I've heard (because I said it and did it).  
Ok but really, what is the deal with wet socks?  They're the worst.  

Here's the recipe!  

Mocha Toffee Meringue Bark
makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup almond meal 
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 4 egg whites
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon instant coffee 
  • 1/3 cup toffee bits
  • 1/4 cup honey roasted peanuts, chopped roughly 
Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicon mat and set aside.  
2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt on high speed until soft peaks form.  With the mixer still on high, slowly begin adding the sugar.  As the egg whites beat, they should become more glossy and stiff.  When stiff peaks have formed, add the instant coffee.  Turn the mixer off and fold in the almond meal with a rubber spatula until well distributed.
3.  Using an offset spatula, spread mixture into a thin even layer on the baking sheet.  Sprinkle with toffee bits and peanuts to coat.  You can lightly press the toppings into the mixture to ensure they stick. 
4.  Bake for 60 mins then turn the oven off and allow to sit (oven door closed) for another 60 mins.  When done, allow to cool and then break into pieces.  Best if eaten the same day or stored in an airtight container.  

Enjoy! 

Recipe barely adapted from Dieter's Downfall

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment