Monday, November 17, 2014

Pomegranate Cornbread Bundt Cake

So I just got back from my honeymoon in London (though the wedding was back in May) and I had every intention of putting together a little post before leaving just so I didn't seem MIA.  Well, oops, I didn't have time to make that post and this blog just sat quietly for over a week.


But I ain't sorry about it y'all.  I went to London.  It was freaking amazing.  I never wanted to leave.  I walked a million miles and ate a million calories and saw all the history and cried a little when I had to leave.  Just like a good vacation should be.

The vacation sads.  They're real.  
But meanwhile, I guess it became winter in Chicago and Thanksgiving is about a week away?!  What the heck man?  I leave for one week but somehow time progresses three weeks.  Going on vacation accesses a hole in the space/time continuum I think.

Oh, also, I'm turning 30 next week.  NOT FREAKING OUT OR ANYTHING.


I've always had to live with the "curse" of having my birthday right around (or sometimes right on) Thanksgiving.  When I was younger, it bugged me that my birthday got lost in the holiday shuffle.  AKA "Everyone pay attention to ME!" 

These days, I'm ok to let it slide by relatively uneventfully.  To much pressure to enjoy myself!  

So instead I'm breezing right past my birthday and focusing on Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving FOOD.  Namely, cornbread.  Cornbread is way underrated, if you ask me.  It's carby, it's sweet, it's savory, it's whatever you want it to be.  

And today, I want it to be studded with pomegranate jewels and sweet corn nuggets, baked into a golden brown bundt cake, dusted with sweet powdered sugar and maayyybbbeee drizzled with honey. 
Ok, definitely drizzled with honey.  


Here's the recipe!

Pomegranate Cornbread Bundt Cake 
serves apprx. 6-8

Ingredients

  • 1 cup cornmeal (white or yellow)
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly 
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk 
  • 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
  • 3/4 cup corn (I used frozen) 
  • powdered sugar, for dusting
  • honey, for drizzling


Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Spray bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside.  
2.  In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.
3.  In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, eggs, and buttermilk, whisking well to combine.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold with a rubber spatula to combine.  The batter should be well combined but still have some lumps.  Allow to sit for about 10 minutes to thicken.  Fold in the pomegranate seeds and corn.  Pour mixture into bundt pan, making sure the top is smooth.  
4.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cornbread looks golden brown and a toothpick intserted in the center comes out clean (or with moist crumbs).  Allow to cool 10-15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to continue cooling.  Dust lightly with powdered sugar or drizzle with honey (or both!) to serve.  

Enjoy!  

Recipe adapted from Paula Deen.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment