Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"Salt on the Rim" Margarita Meringues

Well let me tell you a little story.  I come from work (might I add, I SLAVED over my desk all day long with nary a break or Facebook peruse), make myself a light dinner, catch the final minutes of Wheel of Fortune (did I mention I'm 90 years old?) and then I crack my knuckles and get to typing a blog post.  


And oh what a post it was!  There was plot, character development, climax, and resolution.  And that was just about the meringues!  I lovingly typed out the whole recipe, dotted i's and crossed t's (yes, I even do that on a computer), and clicked Save.  In fact I clicked it four times because my WORST NIGHTMARE is losing a fully written blog post.  

Would you like to guess what happened? 
It saved successfully!  ON OPPOSITE DAY.  No, it did not.  It didn't save a single dang daggum damn word.  And on this day, the world has lost forever a masterpiece of the written word.  Sorry world!  I'm as upset as you.  

Had I not lost my entire post, I would have told you that these meringues are freaking delightful.  They're citrusy and light and crunchy and salty.  They're anti-winter.  They're margaritas minus the tequila and hangover.  My kind of margarita.  
But I can't tell you that, can I?  Because the internet has robbed us all of that blog post. We may never recover but we will rebuild!  

Here's the recipe! 

Salt on the Rim Margarita Meringues
makes approximately 24

Ingredients

  • 3 egg whites, at room temperature
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • zest of one lime
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 275 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or silicon mat and set aside.  
2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites on medium-high speed until foamy and soft peaks form.  With the mixer still on, slowly add the sugar, beating for 2-3 minutes (this may vary based on mixer).  When the mixture is thick, very white, glossy, and stiffly peaked, it's ready.  Turn off the mixer and add the lime zest and sea salt, folding with a rubber spatula to incorporate. 
3.  Fit a large piping bag with the tip of your choice (I used a Wilton 1M), transferring the mixture to the bag.  Pipe small mounds of batter onto the baking sheet (you can pipe these close together as they won't expand upon baking).  Alternatively, you can scoop the batter onto the sheet with a spoon.  If desired, sprinkle with a bit more sea salt.  
4.  Bake 30-40 minutes until meringues are dry and slightly cracked.  You should be able to easily remove the meringue from the tray with no batter left behind.  Otherwise, continue to bake until you can.  Allow to cool before serving.  

Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Food Network.   

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment