Sunday, October 6, 2013

September Beauty Favorites

Monthly favorites time!  I wanted to get this posted last Monday but I had just moved apartments and I was too flat-out exhausted to even consider it.  I know you've been waiting with baited breath.  Anyway, let's get at it.  
L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Excess
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Brightener
NYX HD Photogenic Concealer in Glow 
L'Oreal True Match Powder in Deep Cool
Revlon PhotoReady Powder in Light/Medium

Yikes!  That's a mouthful.  I'm lumping all these together because they were just in last month's favorites and they're still going strong.  With the move and all, I really relied on some trusty standbys instead of buying new products that I'd just have to pack up.  However, I have tried one or two new mascaras that still didn't make the cut to a favorites list.  My Million Lashes Excess is a tough one to beat.   


Simple Foaming Cleanser

When it comes to skin, I feel like I'm pretty lucky.  While I certainly get the occasional breakout, I've never had to deal with any major skin issues.  It feels like I'm at an age where perhaps I should start investing a bit more with my skincare but perhaps I'll save that for next month because Simple is an affordable drugstore brand and I've been pleased with it so far.  Since this cleanser is gentle, I tend to use it in the morning for a quick wake-up and to catch any leftover makeup bits that didn't make it off the night before.  It NEVER stings my eyes and I've had zero irritation with it.  This one is a no brainer.  





Real Techniques Contour Brush and Deluxe Crease Brush

I found myself perusing the shelves at Ulta a few weeks ago (which I do with alarming frequency) and saw that the Real Techniques brush collections were buy one, get one half off.  I'd been eyeing those collections for MONTHS and took it as a sign from heaven that I should finally buy them.  While I really do love the whole collection, these two brushes stand out the most for me.  The contour brush is the perfect size to, you guessed it, contour.  It fits right where I need it and blends easily.  

The Deluxe Crease Brush is eexxacctly the type of brush that was missing from my collections for so long.  It makes putting on eyeshadow a breeze and I think I use it literally every day.  So glad I made these purchases.  

I got this pencil in an Ipsy Bag months ago and sort of just let it sit around since then.  For the most part, I couldn't quit figure out how to put it to use.  Then, earlier this month I decided to just smear it all over my lid and blend with my ring finger to really lighten up my eyelid but still keeps things matte.  It's the perfect shade and really can make a big difference when it comes to contouring your eye.  So glad I hung on to it for a few months! 


The Balm Put A Lid On It

Just like Chella, this was actually a subscription bag sample (from Birchbox) that sorta just got lost in the shuffle for a few months.  I found it when I was doing some cleaning up and now I'm reeaaallly considering buying a full size.  I struggle so much with oily lids and I usually look like a mess by the end of the day.  This is one of the only primers I've tried that really stays put.  


Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bold Gold

Whoa, big departure from Bad to the Bronze!  Actually, not a HUGE departure but a departure nonetheless.  This Color Tattoo is noticeably gold and bright and while I wouldn't say it's for everyday wear, it's really fun to use with a sassier outfit (what am I? 90?) and a bolder lip.  


Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation in Natural Beige

Admittedly, I am not a foundation expert.  Until this foundation, I hadn't worn foundation in years.  I think I always struggled with finding the right color and knowing how to apply it well so I gave up years ago.  However, I wanted to have another go at it and I tried this recommendation from Makeup By Alli.  As I said, I have pretty tame skin so I can't say this is a miracle worker or anything but in general, it provides light coverage, covers mild redness, blends well and stays put all day.  I've been using it everyday lately.  

Naked Palette By Urban Decay

Ah my trusty Naked palette!  I've had this for a few years and I always keep coming back to it (though you can ignore that bare spot where Sidecar was.  Major disaster).  Lately, I've been really loving a matte eye look and I keep reaching for Naked and Buck.  They're such perfect blending shades for nearly any look.  

Wet n' Wild Megalast Lipstick in Mauve Outta Here and Wine Room

Listen, I get it.  Wet n' Wild doesn't always scream "quality."  They have a few good eyeshadow palettes but I never would have considered their lipstick if it hadn't been for GlamLifeGuru.  She recommended this line and I generally really trust her opinions.  At $1.99 I figured it wouldn't break the bank even if I didn't like it.  But these lipsticks are insanely pigmented!  I just dab some on my (moisturized) lips and usually follow up with some gloss.  I've liked these two shades particularly because they're sort of inching towards fall without being full-on dark berry.  They're a great transition color from some of the brighter shades I wore in summer.  Just be sure to stay moisturized with these because as much as I love them, they can be a bit drying.  
       
Nivea Olive Oil and Lemon Chapstick

Speaking of moisturizing!  Don't be alarmed by the green shade, it rolls on clear.  And it smells like a dream.  Surprisingly not lemon-y but sort of.....spa-like.  I find the scent so relaxing and I think it's the perfect pre-bedtime lip moisturizer.  

So that's September done!  What have been your favorites this month?


No comments:

Post a Comment