Monday, September 16, 2013

Salted Blackberry Swirl Brownies

I was gonna start off this post by saying that when cooler weather rolls around, it makes me crave brownies and other rich desserts.  But, like, what's my excuse all the other seasons of the year?  It's not like I avoid brownies in June or something.  So I'm just kind of a liar.  A little.  
But I'm not lying about these brownies being rich.  Just look at those things.  Practically like fudge.  So gooey and dense but with a beautiful crackly crust.  It's all about the crackly crust guys.  I tried a recipe the other day that PROMISED ME it was the best brownie recipe out there.  Guess what?  That dang crust didn't have no crackle.  Now who's the liar? THAT OTHER BLOGGER WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS THAT'S WHO.  


I'm really sorry to shout like that.  But I know that deep down in that blogger's soul, they knew that wasn't the best brownie recipe out there.  All hype.     
I'm keeping it real though.  For the fans!  Is this is THE BEST brownie recipe out there?  Heck, I don't know, man.  I haven't eaten all the brownies.  But I did eat all these brownies.  And they were great.  I liked them lots and lots.  So these were the best brownies with salted blackberry swirl that I've ever made.  Truth.  

Here's the Recipe!  

Salted Blackberry Swirl Brownies

Ingredients
2 sticks unsalted butter
11oz dark chocolate 
3 eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee granules 
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 
6 oz blackberry jam 
sea salt, for sprinkling 

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 pan with vegetable spray.  Set aside. 
2.  In the bowl of a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate until melted and well combine.  Allow to cool 15 minutes.  In a medium bowl, stir together eggs, coffee, vanilla and sugar.  Add in chocolate mixture, stirring well.  Allow to continue cooling to room temperature.  
3.  In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just combined.  Pour into pan and spread into an even layer.  Add dollops of jam to top of brownies and, using a butter knife, swirl into a figure 8 to distribute across the brownies.  Sprinkle with desired amount of sea salt.  
4.  Bake 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Be careful not to overbake.  Allow to cool completely before slicing.  

Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Ina Garten 

6 comments:

  1. They look divine!
    Just need you to confirm if we include 1.5 teaspoons or tablespoons of instant coffee granules please?
    I don't want to mess this up :)
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for catching that Claire! It's tablespoons. I'll update the recipe.

      Delete
  2. Sounds scrumptious! Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, you've put my favorite fruit on a brownie. These look delicious! And fancy - is that just me or do salted desserts make you feel a little bit sophisticated? Anyway, the recipe looks excellent, can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been salting EVERYTHING lately! You can't go wrong. I think you'll really love these, especially if you like blackberry!

      Delete