Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup

Believe it or not, sometimes I'm required to feed myself food that doesn't include butter and sugar.  I'm not saying I like it but I have to do it.  But now that leaves are changing colors and lattes are being consumed at alarming rates and boots are being worn, it's time I bring out the ol' soup pot and get to business.


And I can chop an onion like no one's business.  Soup is sort of my favorite thing because you just take a bunch of ingredients from around the kitchen, toss it in a pot and simmer.  Then it's a meal!  In a bowl!  With oyster crackers!  And pajamas!  And Real Housewives of New Jersey!  I think I've lost focus here...

What I mean is, soup is cozy.  Soup is homey and you can make it on a lazy Sunday when you're the only person in Chicago not watching some gosh darn football game.  And this soup is made with wonderful spectacular pumpkin!  But I promise it's not pumpkin-y.  Well it is pumpkin-y but not too pumpkin-y.  It's mild and creamy and just an tinsy bit spicy.  Trust Annie on this one.  I never lie about soup.  

Now it's time to watch some gosh darn Real Housewives.  

Here's the recipe!

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup  

Ingredients: 

2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 tsp minced garlic (I used the jarred stuff)
3 cups canned or packaged chicken stock (low sodium)
1 can diced tomatoes in juice
1 can black beans, drained
2 cans (total 30 oz) pumpkin puree
1 can evaporated milk
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

coarse salt, to taste

Instructions: 
1.  Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add oil. When oil is hot, add onion. Saute onions 5 minutes.  Add garlic, cumin, and curry.  Mix to coat onions.  

2. Add broth, tomatoes, black beans and pumpkin puree. Stir to combine ingredients and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and stir in evaporated milk and salt, to taste. 

3. Simmer 5 minutes, adjust seasonings (if necessary) and serve with oyster crackers.  Serves 4-6.  

Enjoy!  

Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray
  

1 comment:

  1. Your soup looks delicious! I recently made this great pumpkin black bean soup over at The Junk Drunk that you may like too. Please let me know what you think!
    http://thejunkdrunk.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/deep-stir-pumpkin-black-bean-soup/

    ReplyDelete